8 February 2019. The AACSB, which is based in the USA but works globally, aims to promote engagement, innovation and impact in business study courses. Particular emphasis is placed on quality, inclusion and diversity, cross-border thought processes, ethics, social responsibility and a sense of community. Universities accredited by the AACSB include Harvard, Stanford and Yale in the USA, Imperial College in London and the Technical University of Munich.
The University of St.Gallen has been AACSB-accredited since 2003. The accreditation is comprehensively reviewed every five years: on the one hand, in a detailed documentation process via the AACSB and, on the other hand, on location by an expert group (“peers”) from other business universities. For this “peer review”, Professor Roy A. Wiggins from Bentley University (USA), Professor Delphine Manceau from NEOMA Business School (France) and Professor François Ortalo-Magné from London Business School visited the University of St.Gallen in the autumn of 2018. In 11 rounds of interviews with approximately 60 HSG members, they examined the University of St.Gallen closely and ultimately unanimously recommended the renewal of HSG’s AACSB accreditation until 2023.
During this re-accreditation process, impressive aspects of the University of St.Gallen included:
- entrepreneurship and cooperation (good balance between “top-down” and “bottom-up”)
- good contacts in the real economy
- a comprehensive approach in terms of corporate social responsibility
- particular commitment in teaching and for student learning
- a very large network of alumni and their commitment
- particular commitment to, on the one hand, ensuring that students learn successfully and, on the other hand, regularly revising and developing study programmes
Alongside its AACSB accreditation, the University of St.Gallen has also been accredited by the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) with the EQUIS seal since 2001. The latest EQUIS re-accreditation process was completed in the spring of 2018. Besides Swiss accreditation, the EQUIS and AACSB accreditations mean that the University of St.Gallen possesses the European and US accreditations most relevant for its special fields.