The founding years From the business academy, founded in 1898, to the University of St.Gallen. HSG chronology from 1898 to 1975. 1898 On 25 May 1898, the Great Council of the canton of St.Gallen decides to set up a business school, as well as a collegiate school for business, trade and administration. Theodor Curti is considered as the actual founder of the HSG, senior cantonal official at the time (Landamman) and chairman of the Economics department. The Handelsakademie (Business Academy) opens in 1899. 1911 Renamed the “Handels-Hochschule” (Graduate School of Business) and moves into the new building in Notkerstrasse 20. 1931 Founding of the St.Gallen University Association. 1934 Statutes governing the attainment of professorships are passed. 1938 A new University Act makes the Handels-Hochschule an independent institution governed by public law and gives it the right to issue doctoral titles. 1954 Another new university act gives the canton and town of St.Gallen equal responsibility for the university. 1959 Those entitled to vote from the town and canton agree to the plans for the new building on the Kirchhofergut estate (Rosenberg). Institute and canteen buildings are withdrawn from the plans and funded by special foundations. 1963 Move into the new building created by Walter Förderer, Rolf G. Otto and Hans Zwimpfer at a cost of 14 million Swiss francs including the artwork. Though the new building is designed for 900 students, enrolment reaches 1,150 in the 1963/1964 Winter Semester. The Handels-Hochschule (HHS) changes its name to School for Economic and Social Sciences (Hochschule für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften). 1968 The HSG is the first university in Switzerland to institutionalise ongoing training of graduates during their careers and introduces the executive education level. 1970/73 An initial blueprint to extend the university fails in a 1970 referendum; the town of St.Gallen council stops a second blueprint in 1973.