You are here:
Tradition und innovation
The foundations of our university were laid in 1898 by the Great Council (Grosser Rat) of the canton of St.Gallen. 40 years later, the University of St.Gallen obtained the right to issue doctoral titles. 25 years on, in 1963, the university moved to its current location at Rosenberg. Today, the original business academy has become a teaching and research university offering a broad range of subjects. The business, social sciences and economics departments have been joined by the law division.
From executive education level to the Executive School
The basis for today’s range of executive courses dates back to 1968 and the introduction of the executive education level. Construction of the Executive Campus began 24 years later. Since 2005, our diverse range of executive courses has been combined in the Executive School for Management, Technology and Law. With the HSG Executive Campus, the Executive School received an extra seminar wing in 2008. In addition to extra seminar rooms, 54 hotel rooms are available to our executive students.
We were the first university in Switzerland to institute fundamental systemic reforms. The Swiss licentiate qualification was replaced in 2001 by the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. Core Studies were extended to include Contextual Studies.
Children’s university and public lecture courses
Public lecture courses at the HSG are a longstanding tradition. Since 2003, our professors also offer events for very younger audiences: the children's university presents business and legal issues in a child-friendly way.
HSG chronology to 1975
HSG chronology from 1976